Git Commit Message Standard¶
Taken from conventional commits
The Conventional Commits specification is a lightweight convention on top of commit messages. It provides an easy set of rules for creating an explicit commit history; which makes it easier to write automated tools on top of. This convention dovetails with SemVer, by describing the features, fixes, and breaking changes made in commit messages.
The commit message should be structured as follows:
<type>[optional scope]: <description> [optional body] [optional footer(s)]
- fix: a commit of the type fix patches a bug in your codebase (this correlates with PATCH in semantic versioning).
- feat: a commit of the type feat introduces a new feature to the codebase (this correlates with MINOR in semantic versioning).
- BREAKING CHANGE: a commit that has a footer BREAKING CHANGE:, or appends a ! after the type/scope, introduces a breaking API change (correlating with MAJOR in semantic versioning). A BREAKING CHANGE can be part of commits of any type.
- types other than fix: and feat: are allowed, for example @commitlint/config-conventional (based on the the Angular convention) recommends build:, chore:, ci:, docs:, style:, refactor:, perf:, test:, and others.
- footers other than BREAKING CHANGE:
may be provided and follow a convention similar to git trailer format.
Additional types are not mandated by the conventional commits specification, and have no implicit effect in semantic versioning (unless they include a BREAKING CHANGE).
A scope may be provided to a commit’s type, to provide additional contextual information and is contained within parenthesis, e.g., feat(parser): add ability to parse arrays.
Commit message with description and breaking change footer¶
feat: allow provided config object to extend other configs BREAKING CHANGE: `extends` key in config file is now used for extending other config files
Commit message with ! to draw attention to breaking change¶
refactor!: drop support for Node 6
Commit message with both ! and BREAKING CHANGE footer¶
Commit message with no body¶
docs: correct spelling of CHANGELOG
Commit message with scope¶
feat(lang): add polish language
Commit message with multi-paragraph body and multiple footers¶
fix: correct minor typos in code see the issue for details on typos fixed. Reviewed-by: Z Refs #133